Monday 4 February 2013

Your Song - Elton John - Cover

Here I am covering 'Your Song' by Elton John.  This is has always been one of my favourite songs.  Written by Elton John and Bernie Taupin and released on the album 'Elton John' in 1970.


Elton John has been a big inspiration for me and is one of the reasons I learnt to play the piano and sing in the first place.  Ever since I heard the, mostly, instrumental 'Song For Guy' I was entranced with it.  This lead to me listening to more and more Elton and discovery Bernie Taupin's lyrics.  I think when I first sung I was singing to much like Elton at the expense of finding my own voice.  But that said, I have him to thank for learning to sing in the first place I think.  Since I think I have moved away from that I refined my own voice better.  I think, like any artist, I'm always developing and trying new things.  Whenever I do sing an Elton song though I'm sure some Eltonisms work their way into my voice at least a little!  I remember singing this song an entire octave lower in the past and it took me some time to realise my voice is probably a lot better singing higher.  I think my voice would often get lost trying to sing things too low and not having the confidence to sing in a higher register and putting more power behind the voice.  This might not be the best example of that, but stay tuned to see, hopefully, better examples!

I going to upload some performances of my own music soon, but I thought it would be a good idea to get some covers up first just to get used to filming myself!  The webcam I'm using isn't very good, but I might buy a camcorder soon so I can get some better footage.  I recorded the sound from the microphone and the sound of the piano sound through Cubase and synced those up with the video so it would have much better sound quality than the webcam microphone.

I will explain why there is a Chuck Norris poster for the Movie Top Dog on the back of my door another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment