Monday 21 January 2013

First Piece

'First Piece' was one of the first things I played on my then brand new Casio Privia PX-310 digital piano back in 2006.

This was another piece that I kind of just played once and had for a long time on my computer under the temporary title 'First Piece'.  Not thinking of anything better to call it I decided kept the title.  I am often unsure of what to call something, but it is just another detail to procrastinate over!

When I first recorded this I had recently got a job after having come back from university and despite still being needing to pay off my student overdrive I decided it was time to have a proper digital piano.   While at university I had played on several pianos in practice rooms including a grand piano.  I didn't study music, but I certainly made use of the piano facilities!  Prior to that I only really played on non-weighted touch sensitive keyboard keys like those of my then current keyboard the Yamaha PSR-540. 

It was at university that I think I learned how to play a real piano.  At first the piano keys seemed so heavy and I think over the course of my playing sessions my fingers probably strengthened somewhat as they adjusted!  There is a certain expression that comes from those hammer action weighted keys on pianos and digital pianos, and when I got my own digital piano I realised how satisfying they were to play.  Having said that, the other type of keys can be very effective when playing others sounds like synthesisers and organs.

Of course I would love to have a real piano some day.  However, cost and space prohibits me from doing so any time soon!  But maybe one day.

simonwillis.bandcamp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment